We Help You Raise The Bar
On Risk Management
We Take A Different Approach To Risk Management.
At Uvidi, we take a different approach to risk management. The specific type of risk we focus on is ‘Operational Risk’ (ORM). Operational risk is defined as "The risk of loss resulting from inadequate or failed internal processes, people, and systems or from external events." This definition is recognized by financial institutions worldwide. The definition we have adopted is a combination of the ISO and Basel Committee, which reads:
"The effect that triggers uncertainty, due to inadequate processes, people, and systems or from external events, that impact the ability to achieve organizational objectives."
With that definition, Operational Risk is absolutely inherent in every service, product and business activity today. Models and frameworks are not enough for a business to have an adequate picture of current and emerging risks on a day-to-day basis.
Operational risk management requires systems thinking and risk-based decision making.
It requires everyone in the organization from the CEO on down to have an understanding of the part they play relative to risks.
Operational risk is not about managing “the risk”, it‘s about managing the patterns, the gaps, the vulnerabilities, the issues and the dynamics that combine to create risk. This is important! These are the internal and external factors that cause the EFFECT that is triggered due to uncertainty and consequently gives rise to emerging risk.
Moreover, these are the indicators to help identify your emerging risk. Failing to manage the indicators effectively will, in time, become a significant problem to be managed.
This is a different approach, but one that yields results and operational benefits that can be measured against the objectives, strategies and outcomes/ KPIs.
We help businesses systematize their ORM approach by leveraging the intuitive, the intellectual, and the quantifiable aspects that enable them to strengthen and align their risk management processes to their key activities. We assist clients with:
- Assessing the operational risk management cost, effectiveness and maturity.
- Performing sustainable reviews of operational processes, people, and systems.
- Strengthening and aligning the operational risk management framework with their strategic business objectives.
- Defining or refreshing the risk management framework that aligns to the business objectives; including those that may not readily lend themselves to measurement.
- Defining or refreshing processes for the identification, assessment, mitigation, monitoring and reporting of operational risks that impact business objectives, outcomes/KPIs and strategies.
- Defining or refreshing processes for the identification, assessment, mitigation, monitoring and reporting of operational risks that impact business objectives, outcomes/KPIs and strategies;
- Verifying and refining the potential costs that can result due to certain failures of operational risk management.
- Defining the business requirements for operational risk management systems.
The ultimate responsibility for Operational Risks rests with the Board of Directors. The leadership of both the Board and Senior Management is the key influencer for a culture that places a high priority on the level of effectiveness that can be achieved, and ultimately raise the bar on risk management.
Uvidi Advisors can help your Board and Management establish or renew their risk governance approach and set a strategic direction in relation to operational risk.